Ear, nose and throat doctors in Brandon, Florida
Sinusitis is one of the most common chronic health problems in the U.S., but our sinus specialists are here to help. At The Sinus Center at Brandon Regional Medical Center, our ear, nose and throat doctors (ENT) provide comprehensive care for chronic sinus conditions
To learn more about our ENT services , please call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (813) 653-1065.
The sinuses are air-filled cavities. They are located:
- Behind the forehead and eyebrows
- Behind the nose directly in front of the brain
- On either side of the bridge of the nose
- Within the bony structure of the cheeks
Sinusitis occurs when there is an inflammation of the sinuses.
Causes of sinusitis
Sinusitis is often caused by:
- Bacterial (germ) infections
- Viruses and fungi (molds)
Symptoms of sinusitis
- Bad breath
- Congestion or feeling of fullness in face
- Nasal obstruction blockage
- Pus in the nasal cavity
- Runny nose or discolored postnasal drainage
Types of sinus surgery
Sinusitis is typically treated first with medication. However, some patients do not respond to medications. Your doctor will often suggest sinus surgery as the next step to finding relief.
Our Brandon ear, nose and throat doctors offer several sinus surgery options:
- Endoscopic sinus surgery uses a thin fiber optic tube to remove abnormal and obstructive tissues.
- Balloon-assisted surgery uses a minimally invasive sinus balloon catheter to unblock the sinus passageway.
- Image-guided surgery combines the use of a computed tomography (CT) scan with endoscopic surgery for greater visual precision and is beneficial in surgeries involving severe infection, previous sinus surgery or when a patient has a rare sinus anatomy.
What to expect with sinus surgery
Most sinus surgeries are performed:
- On an outpatient basis in 1-2 hours
- Involve a local or general anesthetic
- Have minimal swelling, especially with the endoscopic procedures