Neurologists in Brandon, FL
For a free physician referral or to schedule an appointment with a neurologist, please call 1-888-327-2636.
Tell me more about Neurology:
Neurology is the study of the nervous system. A neurologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of the brain, nerves, spinal cord and muscles.
Tell me more about conditions Neurologists treat
The most common conditions neurologists diagnose and treat include:
- ADHD: Meaning Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder, ADHD is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder which is characterized by a lag in developing impulse control.
- Chronic Migraines: Debilitating moderate to severe headaches that typically are concentrated in one area of the brain and lasting up to three days. Headache symptoms include nausea and sensitivity to light and sound.
- Epilepsy: Recurring unprovoked seizures usually occurring in children but may develop in adulthood resulting from brain injury.
- Hydrocephalus: Also known as “water on the brain,” it is the result of infection of disease which causse pooling of fluid in the brain, creating severe pressure resulting in seizures, coma, retardation or death.
- Meningitis: An infectious disease which causes inflammation of the protective membranes surrounding the brain and spinal cord and if left untreated, may quickly result in death.
- Multiple Sclerosis: An inflammatory disease which destroys the ability of nerve cells to communicate with each other, resulting in numbness, weakness, trouble speaking or swallowing and loss of bowl control.
- Parkinson’s disease: A hereditary disorder which causes the degeneration of the central nervous system with characteristic traits of tremors, stiffness, instability and dementia.
- Sleep Disorders: The disruption of sleep patterns as the result of a variety of issues including nightmares, troubled breathing, or temporary paralysis.
Tell me more about common Neurology procedures
Neurologists perform a variety of tests and treatments ranging from prescription medicine regimens to minimally invasive to major surgeries. The most common neurology procedures include:
- CAT Scan
- Endoscopic Endonasal Surgery
- Lumbar Puncture (Spinal Tap)
- PET Scan
How to Choose a Neurologist
Choosing a neurologist is one of the most important decisions you make with regard to your health. Here are some tips to keep in mind when searching for a gynecologist:
- Ask your primary care physician for a referral to a neurologist they trust.
- Also seek recommendations from friends, family and co-workers.
- Check to see which neurologists are included among your insurance’s specialty providers.
- Use your internet resources and research reviews, credentials and locations of gynecologists in your area.
- Select a neurologist with whom you feel comfortable asking questions and who listens in return.
- Consider the neurologist’s availability in scheduling appointments as well as ease of access in reaching the office.