Center of Excellence Designation Received
Marketing & Public Relations Contact:
September 24, 2010
Brandon Regional Hospital Receives Center of Excellence Designation by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) has named Brandon Regional Hospital (BRH), together with Alfredo Fernandez, MD, a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. The ASMBS Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence designation is given to surgical programs and surgeons that have demonstrated consistent favorable outcomes in weight loss surgery. BRH is one of two hospitals in Hillsborough County to have this designation.
A Comprehensive Program
The mission of the BRH bariatric team, led by medical director, Dr. Alfredo Fernandez, is to provide a supportive, multi-disciplinary approach to weight- loss, and offer the latest in minimally invasive surgical options. Benefits of the BRH program include:
- A team comprised of a surgeon, registered dietician, registered nurses, a bariatric coordinator and other healthcare professionals, all working together to ensure that all the patient’s medical needs are met and that favorable outcomes are consistently achieved
- Each patient receives extensive individualized pre and post-operative education which is the key to success
- We offer the latest technology and equipment for the bariatric patient
- All procedures are performed laparoscopically.
A Growing Concern
Obesity is a growing problem in the U.S. where one-third of the population is heavier than they should be. In Florida, 57% of adults are overweight or obese, as determined by the Body Mass Index, or BMI. Bariatric surgery is not only used to reduce a person’s weight but it has proven effective in eliminating or significantly reducing many medical conditions such as Type II Diabetes, lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and sleep apnea and acid reflux may be resolved.
Types of Weight Loss Surgery Options
Surgical procedures performed by at BRH by Dr. Fernandez include:
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass Roux-en Y
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Laparoscopic Gastric Banding
To learn more about the BRH surgical weight loss program, please call (813)653-1065 to register for a free information session.