Brandon Regional Hospital Celebrates Its 10th Anniversary of the Opening of Its Comprehensive Heart Program
Marketing & Public Relations Contact:
June 30, 2012
Brandon, Florida – Brandon Regional Hospital announces the celebration of the 10th anniversary of its comprehensive open heart program. The anniversary was celebrated on June 25 with a modest ceremony. On June 25, 2002 Brandon Regional Hospital performed its first coronary artery bypass on 65 year old Charlie Forman. The bypass took 2.5 hours to complete.
Ten years later Charlie Forman looked back on that day. “Ten years ago, I had no problems,” he said. “When you’re going to get your chest cut open, you are going to be real nervous and everything but I was not because I knew being the first one to have the surgery at Brandon, they were not going to let me down,” he added. Mr. Forman said that he was there for a week and felt comfortable and really had no problems at all. “They were real good people and took good care of me. Today, I feel good and have not had any problems,” said Mr. Forman.
In discussing the current heart program Bradley Bufkin, MD emphasized that the program has grown from being a provider of cardiac surgery to one that provides unique expertise in the full breadth of cardiac surgery to the community, including sophisticated mitral valve repair techniques, stentless aortic valve implantation, atrial fibrillation surgery, off pump coronary artery bypass, endoscopic vein harvest and minimally invasive cardiac surgery. “All of these things have sort of grown up with the program as they’ve been growing in the field of cardiac surgery,” said Dr. Bufkin.
I think that our program is one that provides hands-on service for the patient. We not facility in which postoperative care is not provided by multiple different physicians. The postoperative care is provided and directed every day by the cardiac surgery team who performed the surgery and therefore know all the details of that patient's case. We provide a unique hands-on, boutique brand of cardiac surgery,” said Dr. Bufkin. Dr. Bufkin believes that what differentiates Brandon’s cardiac program from others around the country is that this hands-on approach has led the program to growing to one that is “superlative.”
“We have a three star Society of Thoracic Surgeons ranking, which only 10-15% of the cardiac surgical programs in America have achieved. I think that has a lot to do with the way our program works,” added Dr. Bufkin.
For more information on Brandon Regional Hospital’s cardiac program call 813-653-1065 or go to BrandonRegionalHospital.com.
About Brandon Regional Hospital
Brandon Regional Hospital is a proud member of the nation’s leading provider of healthcare services. BRH is a 398-acute care facility which includes a 25-bed Behavioral Health Center. BRH holds the following certifications:
- The first hospital in Hillsborough County to receive accreditation as a Chest Pain Center with PCI from The Society of Chest Pain Centers.
- The three star award for excellence in cardiac surgery – the highest award given by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.
- Certification as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission.
- The Bariatric Center of Excellence award by the American Society of the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.
- The Brandon Regional Hospital Echocardiography Lab has been awarded a three-year term of accreditation in the area of adult transthoracic by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories (ICAEL).
In addition, BRH has enhanced its services this year with the addition of:
- The newly renovated and expanded Women’s Center at Brandon Regional Hospital, which includes The Baby Suites, Level III NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit), and new in-patient rooms for gynecology and anti-partum patients.
- The Reflux Center, which has developed a comprehensive approach for the diagnosis and treatment of acid reflux disease by combining highly skilled physicians and the latest technology to provide effective solutions.
- The newly renovated Behavioral Health Center a 25 bed unit which emphasizes the importance of instilling hope with group and individual psychotherapy, medication assessment, psycho-educational group, family support and education groups, and interventions designed to guide the mind, body, and spirit to recovery.
- The Neuroscience Center and Heart & Vascular Center offer the latest diagnoses and treatment options in neurological, spine and cardiac conditions.
Brandon Regional Hospital has recently initiated a program to only perform elective deliveries at 39 weeks gestation unless medically indicated. Although this initiative is becoming wide-spread throughout the nation, Brandon Regional Hospital and HCA implemented this initiative before it became a national movement.
Brandon Regional Hospital is located at 119 Oakfield Drive, Brandon, Florida 33511. For more information contact Patricia Montgomery, 813-571-5105 or go to BrandonRegionalHospital.com.